Monday 8 August 2011

Summer Anthems


Readers – A bit of a light and lazy post this time, but nevertheless quite cultural and profound. I wanted to share my top 5 summer anthems from Africa. These have been a key part of my experience out here, mostly because they have promoted group bonding and cohesion in the Open Jakivahudi community (Open Capital Advisors, Jacaranda Maternity, Kiva & Juhudi Kilimo are 4 social enterprises based in the same district of Nairobi – We live and work together i.e. share offices and homes, under various arrangements – some of us are slumlords, where as some like myself are just slumdogs).

No. 5: Sarah Mitaru – Songea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cyyQc7Q3Gk

I first noticed Sarah Mitaru at the launch of the Acumen East Africa Fellows program, but later realized that I have also seen her perform at Blankets & Wine (a monthly open air concert and picnic in Nairobi). She quit her day job, working for a bank I believe, to take up music full time. Followed her dreams – took a risk – things I also need to be doing. Her performance at the Acumen launch was quite catchy and inspiring, especially the first song titled something like, “I am a leader”. I believe the song was composed especially for the Acumen Fellows, so it cannot be found anywhere on the internet. She’s got a great voice. Great things i.e. Afro-soul, happen when church choir skills are brought out into the mainstream / jazz music scene. It’s incredible how faith and religious institutions enrich the arts and culture.

No. 4: J Boog – Let’s do it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXeaaIkC8sQ

This song is actually from Hawaii, but Kenya seems to have fully embraced it. It’s played everywhere, on public transport, in bars, clubs & restaurants, in taxis and cars, and even at the supermarket. The chorus is catchy, but the real gems are a little hidden in the 3 rap verses. Such rhymes as: “I call her babe … she call me boogie ; her beauty and intelligence really moves me”, and “Dis isn’t my first rendezvous in a relationship ; well-rounded graduated with love certificates aye.”

No. 3: Muthoni – Welcome to the disco (terere)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VGVEVeqo0

This song is supposed to be a bit of a chick flick, but I still listen to it again and again, to balance out my masculinity. Muthoni is the singer, also known as the Drummer Queen. I have seen her perform twice at Blankets & Wine (a monthly open air concert and picnic in Nairobi). This one is just a bit racy and catchy. Some of the African drum beats in some of her other slightly deeper songs are sublime (she’s an even better philosopher than she is a drummer – her live performance at Blankets and Wine is always loaded with interesting thoughts and questions – all around entertainment).

No. 2: Flavour – Nwa baby (Ashawo Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1DSCmqXkAo

This one’s just silly and catchy. The original song was put together by a Nigerian, and this version, which is the best and most popular one, has been remixed by a South African. I have made no serious attempt to find out what it means. “Sawa Sawa” simply means “fine fine” in multiple African and world languages, including Swahili and originates from the French expression, “ça va” which as we all know, literally means “OK”. It’s just a smooth care free way of hitting on all the ladies. My favorite part is just before the chorus: “And I go tell my mama. And I go tell my papa.”

No. 1: Jaguar – Kigeugeu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBYc3lAnMU

I will never get tired of this song. It is the No. 1 Swahili pop anthem at the moment, and I am told that it has been around for many months already. When I first heard it, I thought this guy was just happy and singing a really catchy tune – a great song to dance to. A colleague later explained to me that it is actually loaded with thoughts and feelings – a bit of anger, frustration and sadness. It immediately struck a chord with me. It’s about betrayal and corruption and lack of trust. So important and so relevant – personally. Never fails to put me in a good and angry mood at the same time. The climax is most fun: “Bibi yangu kigeugeu – my wife betrayed me”, “pastor wangu kigeugeu – the pastor betrayed me”, “mkunga kigeugeu – the midwife betrayed me”, “wanasiasa vigeugeu – the politician betrayed me”, “rafiki yangu kigeugeu – my friend betrayed me” (my absolute favourite part), “fundi wangu kigeugeu – the handyman betrayed me”, “dereva kigeugeu – the driver betrayed me”, “conductor, kigeugeu – the conductor betrayed me”. One thing that is interesting is that there are so many Arabic words in there, which I recognize (or words which are clearly rooted in Arabic). I never realized just how much Arabic there is in Swahili, until I looked through the lyrics to this song. Provides me with a head start, and confidence that if I start learning now, I can become pretty good within a year. Just need to build up some sort of discipline to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment